Saturday, March 16, 2013

Free Writing

Hi all,
Our Kindergarten team attended a writing training recently.  We learned a lot of new stuff and refreshed ourselves on the old.  My students are really enjoying the "free writing" aspect.  I give my students 15 minutes of free writing time without a topic.  The students choose the topic.  They are allowed to write the entire time and without talking or interuptions.  The students are instructed to simply write and not worry about punctuation or conventions.  After the timer goes off, the students finished his/her thoughts.  Parent share times comes next.  Each student turns to his/her "table buddy" and reads their writing to the buddy.  The only statement that can be made is a positive comment like great job or thanks for sharing.  It has really had my Kindergarten students more open to writing more, sharing and composing thoughts and putting them on paper.  It has been great for my struggling writer.  After this experience, the writing samples can then be edited the following day.  We usually do a "free writing" activity every Friday now.  See below a few samples of my student's work.


No comments:

Post a Comment